After going back and forth a little bit regarding my new home, the balance was decisively tipped yesterday in favor of Pensacola. I like it here.
- Driving 20 minutes and arriving in places that we have never been before.
- Discovering Navarre (= perfect little beachy community of condos and pastel rental houses on stilts).
- Discovering Navarre beach (= white sand, little dunes, and blue/green waves).
- Looking out my window and seeing a pod of dolphins splashing around. DOLPHINS, people. In the wild.
- Watching them for 15 minutes.
- Fantasizing about renting a house on the beach for Christmas one year and inviting the whole family.
- Watching Brideshead Revisited at a newly-discovered cinema in Gulf Breeze that shows art films and cheap 2nd run movies.
- Deciding that we wanted to try fish tacos and finding the perfect Baja restaurant on the boardwalk at Pensacola Beach.
- Fish tacos = delicious.
- Beach sunsets = gorgeous.
- Walking out on the dock after dark and being blown by the warm wind.
- Hanging out with friends who don’t mind that we show up at 9:30 pm because we turned the cell phone off and forgot to check messages.
After moping a bit about the fabulous Pacific Northwest, it was good to be reminded that Florida is pretty special, too.